Thursday, July 15, 2010

Top Ten Best Things About Michigan in the Summer

Thanks to summer vacation and my parents I was able to spend three fun filled weeks in my hometown. Here's a list of the best things about it!

10. Air Conditioning. When the humidity hits in Michigan you can bet you are gonna want air. Thankfully my parents had it installed years ago and it was so nice to sleep cooly!

9. Water. Michigan has lots of water and we took advantage. From the Niblocks swimming pool to the fresh water lake complete with seaweed to the clear clean water of the Rolling Hills wave pool and lazy river.

8. Cheap movie tickets. Only after living in LA can I appreciate the $4.50 matinee at Brighton's MJR Cinema. Over the 3 weeks I saw "Despicable Me", "A-Team", "Toy Story 3", "Knight and Day", "Eclipse", and "Iron Man 2".

7. Books! I love love love to read. I can't read much during the year because once I start a book I can't put it down. Through the last 21 days I read NINE books and they were all great!

6. Catching up. When I get home I try to catch up with people and see what's been happening. This time I was able to visit with friends from college, old family friends and of course the grandparents! Grandma Mac is settled into the nursing home and being well taken care of and grandma and grandpa Cows are selling the homestead and headed for a condo while Grandma Millie is continuing to enjoy her friends in Lansing.

5. Games. I was able to take in part of a Lugnuts game after a nasty thunderstorm receded a bit and have a great meal courtesy of Chem Trend and their anniversary celebration. Euchre was the name of the game at our place this year as my mom defended her trophy nightly. Dad didn't have too much luck but I am sure he'll be ready next time.

4. Sleeping. Let's get one thing straight, sleeping is in no way over rated. I slept in, went to bed early, and took naps. Basically slept as much as possible.

3. Food. No vacation is complete without good food and we were not in short supply. Bar-B-Ques a plenty were had, s'mores, ice cream birthday cake for Ms. Emma's 5th, potato salad, and Johnny Carino's, but nothing tops mom's baked beans!!!!

2. Sights. I lived in Michigan for 25 years and am surprised to continually find new things and enjoy the old. We took a fantastic tour of the Frederick Meijer Gardens, played some spectacular golf (if I do say so myself) and hit King Cone TWICE!!!!

1. Family. Plain and simple. I love my family. I have said it before and I will say it again, my parents are the most loving, supportive and giving people around. They even paid a bucket load so I could stay an extra week for more fun!

1 comment:

Sarah Knapp said...

I agree with every single item!!!!