Monday, September 18, 2006

Do-It-Yourself-Surgery

At least that it what it sounds like from the bill I got from the hospital today. I paid for things like a scalpel and cath tubes and glue (skin adhesive) and face masks and sutures. There are all kinds of things on the list that is very itemized I must add. Anyone looking at the list would see a list of things needed to do surgery so why shouldn't I do it myself? I know, I can't. But it still doesn't explain why I had to buy the scalpel. All of this amounts to the grand total of $18, 375.44 and this has no charges for the private room I had either. The insurance hasn't paid their share yet so I have to wait and see how much I will pay but I am sure it will be a lot.

Word to the wise: If you have to have surgery it might be cheaper to get the supply list from me and then find someone who can do it for free. Maybe we should find some pro bono surgeons, they have lawyers, why not surgeons.

1 comment:

Laura said...

When I cut my thumb and had to go to the emergency room, they used a sterile adhesive on me to seal the wound. How dorky do I feel that I had to go back to work (after cutting my thumb on a broken coffee mug) to say I'd been SUPERGLUED????

Thank heavens for workers' comp, or I'd have paid a ton for that glue.