Saturday, March 18, 2006

I want to go to War - really?

In one week I will be in Las Vegas! I will write all kinds of stories when I get home, they will be good considering the group that is going. I spent today with Donna (her husband is gone to Iraq). God has really blessed me in my move here and I believe that this is where I was supposed to end up. I have met such incredible, strong people that have had such an impact on me. Donna is really missing her husband, I mean who wouldn't, but this week was tough. So he told her to go car shopping so when he comes home for two weeks in June they can get here a new car. Now, he told her to take me and she did. I am not sure he meant drive around the mall parking lot and look for cars you like in between shopping! But hey, who am I to judge.

It is really hard for me to hang out with the Marine crowd. I went to the club last night and when I was signing in with my car the guy was asking Donna about her husband and he was like I have been in 2 years and they haven't sent me yet (to Iraq), I am hoping to get in on the next one. I mean seriously, who wants to go to war! I am truly grateful for all the men and women who serve and I support them 100% however, I am not sure I will ever understand the mentality of wanting to go to war, to kill people, to get shot at and all the other horrible things that happen. I have been around so much of it and I guess I thought it would get easier but it doesn't.

What do I say when Donna says she doesn't know how she is going to send Jaime back after just two weeks for 8 more months. That's Christmas, anniversary and birthday again. For cryingou outloud, he hit 700 days of deployment this week. Granted it is over 10 years but that is alot of days! Alot of missed stuff and alot of leaving loved ones behind.

Well, not that we are all depressed here is a funny kid story. Yesterday I said to this kid "You and I are going to have issues!" and he replied (in all seriousness) "I already have shoes" It was so incredibly funny that I had to stop teaching for a good 2 minutes. Yes, yes, I am ready for vacation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for a good pair of issues. Where did you and your student get yours?