Thursday, March 09, 2006

Thieves Among Us

So I had a pretty lousy day, but I know some of you are like,, yeah we know all your days are lousy. But Seriously! This day in particular sucked, to truly understand the suckiness let's go back 24 hours....

Wednesday morning I arrive at school to find only 4 names were left by the sub so that is very impressive and I was like, ok things are good. Then lunch hit, I opened the student council cash box to discover there was no cash. This was not a good sign because A. I had left some in there and 2. The kids had been selling dance tickets for two days. So I did what I do best - went and ate my lunch :-) I mean it is still going to be missing after I ate right? I am going to skip over the boring parts - I talked to several people blah blah blah and I interrogated some kids and then made the announcement to the whole school. The dance, scheduled for Thursday, was cancelled unless the money was returned by end of day. I know my students very well. I knew that if I threatened this they would talk and they did. Less than an hour later I had narrowed down my list of thieves to 4 people and further investigation and a locker search led me to my money and the felons. (although I was 28 dollars short of a felony crime).

Two of my students (girls) had taken the money and created a shopping list of how they were going to spend it. Our police officer is not there this week so we had to call one from another school and have them arrested.

Now, back to today. After having $222 stolen and a pair of fancy edge scissors I took everything out of my classroom that belonged to me. Including, much to my student's dismay, the pencil sharpener. I told them to steal someone else's pencil since they were so good at it. I had to write out and verbally give a statement to the police officer which was all in vain. Being a first offense, neither girl will see a hearing or anything and the school gave them 3 days suspension. So the lesson we learned is that if you steal it's ok because you get a vacation.

Add to this that I am trying to sell tickets, call the DJ (he apparently forgot he had a gig), fax address lists to the bus garage and oh yeah, teach my class. Now let's talk about after school. The dance was great. The kids always behave and we had open gym so I spent my time playing basketball with the kids. We ushered them all out at 5:15 to get on the buses. 5 buses, 4 left and I was like why is this bus still here. Turns out there were too many kids and then....Are you ready...It breaks down, just turns off. So there I am with like 50 kids, a broken bus and what does my boss do??????? She tells me it is my fault for not getting the list to transportation in time. I calmly explained that they had list this morning and it was not my fault that the bus broke. I wanted the kids to go home too. Then she puts her hand on my shoulder and tells me to calm down. I almost hit her, I mean really. Calm down! Then she looks at her watch and says I have to be somewhere and she LEAVES!!!!!

We finally got a new bus and the kids went home and I left wondering if the rest of the world has days like this. I mean why am I being punished. Did I do something so bad that I was sent to Hell before I died. Can that really happen? I am now going bowling, a sport at which I am no good and pay perfectly good money to suck at. Next time you are having a bad day at work, tell yourself at least the bus isn't broke.

1 comment:

Sarah Knapp said...

Lobison - oh dear. Can I just say your boss sucks! I mean seriously. Did Maria or Donna stay with you? Anyone to help? Kate? Because if not I'll yell at them all. And pinch them too.
Yes, everyone has days like this. Remember me being yelled at for doing exactly what I was told, and in front of VIPs??? And then being called into my dean's office and accused of swearing during class?
Ok - so the bus didn't break down but I know. And I love you:-) Breathe deep and crawl into bed.